Sunday, September 20, 2009

Meet the Cinnamons

I thought, since these will be image-heavy, that I'd introduce the rabbits by breed. That way, I can send folks to a specific link to meet each breed later on. So - I'll start where I started a year ago, in June 2008.
This is Peanut Butter, our Cinnamon buck. He is a big, beautiful boy from Nancy Searle's barn. I weighed him today - 4780 grams, or 10 pounds, 8.6 ounces. He's very gentle and affectionate!


This lovely doe is Mocha, also from Nancy Searle's barn. She has had four litters for me, starting in September 2008, of 5, 6, 9, and 7 kits. She's much more shy than Peanut Butter, and an excellent Mama. She weighs 9 pounds, 6 ounces at present, even while nursing 7 kits!



This curious and spunky girl is Acorn, from Peanut Butter and Mocha's first litter. She's the very first rabbit from "my" barn! She's a big girl - 4975 grams, or 10 pounds, 15.5 ounces - and she's nursing 8 kits, who are only 8 days old. She has had three litters for me this year - all with 8 kits! She's a lovely rabbit, a bit grumpy when pregnant, nicely protective of her kits for their first few days, and gentle and affectionate the rest of the time.


And finally, this lovely lass is Maple. She is from Acorn's first litter. I bred Acorn to one of Nancy Searle's bucks, PJ1, who is an award-winning buck at last year's Nationals. Maple herself won Best Cinnamon in Show at the Cummington Fair this past August. She was born April 22nd, so she is 22 weeks old, and she already weighs 8 pounds, 4 ounces. I won't breed her this year - Cinnamons are pretty sensitive to day length, and she's still a month away from the "magic" 6-month figure. In the spring, I will ask Nancy if any of her bucks want a playmate - or I could breed her back to her grandfather, Peanut Butter. You might notice that her coat is much more of one color than the other Cinnamons' - that's normal. Her distinctive markings will emerge as she matures.

No comments:

Post a Comment